Ketterer Charter School is committed to creating a school environment that is free from bullying and harassment.
Students have the right to feel safe and comfortable at school.
What is Bullying?
Bullying is a form of aggressive, harassing and manipulative behavior. It occurs across all geographic, racial and socioeconomic boundaries. No child deserves to be bullied and no child should bully another. The best protection parents can offer their child is to foster confidence and self-esteem. Talking openly about respect for self and others will increase tolerance for differences.
What should students do?
Victims can report bullying at school to teachers, counselors, or the principals. Talk with your parents; Ignore the bully or don’t react; Walk away; Be assertive, but do not get into a physical or verbal fight; Hold your head up, show confidence in yourself; Use humor; Stick with a friend when going to and from school, during class changes and at lunch time; Avoid the bully when necessary.
If you observe incidents of bullying, support the victim. Tell the bully to stop. Do not laugh or side with the bully. Don’t confront the bully, if you think someone may get hurt. Report all incidents of bullying to school staff and encourage the victim to do the same.
What are the consequences of bullying?
When students or parents suspect that repeated acts of bullying are taking place it should be reported to the school staff.
If the investigation finds an instance of bullying behavior has occurred, it will result in prompt and appropriate disciplinary actions. This may include loss of privileges, detention, school suspension, and possible expulsion for students.
- Westmoreland County MH/MR: 724-830-3617
- Westmoreland Community Action: 724-834-1260
- Emergency : 911
- City of Latrobe Police Non-Emergency: 724-537-5526
- Westmoreland County Victim Services: 724-830-3272
- Women’s Help Center: 724-837-9540
- Center for Safe Schools: www.center-school.org/bullyingprevention
- US Department of Health and Human Services: www.stopbullyingnow.org
- Nemours Center for Children’s Health: http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/behavior/bullies.html
- Bullying: www.dfes.gov.uk/bullying
Ways for students and parents to report bullying – Talk to:
- School Staff
Ketterer Charter School respects and maintains confidentiality throughout the Bullying Prevention process.